24. Acrylic Resist Aquatint
Users Instructions ImagOn Ultra photopolymer films
An Acrylic Resist Etching Aquatint can be a very strong black and can be added to a worked plate at atmost any time as long as you properly degrease the plate. You will need an airbrush and a spray booth. The liquid aquatint should not be inhaled.
- Prepare you plate as for an etch intaglio-type.
- Degrease your plate.
- Airbrush pressure should be between 20 and 40 PSI (lbs/sq.inch) (20 PSI= 1,4 bar = 1,4 kg/cm2 )(40 PSI=2,8 bar = 2,8 kg/cm2)
- The Hunt Speed ball Screen Filler diluted with 30% water is one recommended acrylic Aquatint Solution. The other is the Badger Acrylic Aquatint Solution. Each can be airbrushed onto a copper. Spray evenly with about a 60-80 percent coverage.
- Let dry.
- Protect the back of the plate with tape or shelve paper.
- Hang in the etchant. I do not recommend the use of aerator with an aquatint.
- Check the plate every 20 minutes.
- After the plate has etched clean it with Comet Cleanser or Ajax and dry.
- Remove the backing tape and dry. The plate is now ready to print.