10. Wrinkled Intaglio-type
Users Instructions ImagOn Ultra photopolymer films
Dupont's ImagOn Ultra is very versatile and this is one of the wonderful techniques that can be done with the raw ImagOn emulsion. It can be done on a blank plate or on a plate that has already been worked. It is always best to apply a layer of ImagOn to the plate before starting the Wrinkled Intaglio-Type technique. The 'carrier layer' can be exposed or not exposed to an image or to the Aquatint Screen. There are a few creative combinations that can be employed when working with the carrier and wrinkled layers of Imagon. The Wrinkled Layer of film is exposed to a positive BEFORE it is laminated to the plate.
- Prepare the plate as you would for an Intaglio-type.
- If the plate has been inked previously then degrease it with magnesium carbonate made into a paste with water
- Cut ImagOn film so that it is the same size as your image or stencil (referred to as the 'positive').
- Place ImagOn film (referred to as 'film') in the exposure unit.
- Place positive on top of film. Make sure to expose through the top Mylar and not the peel-back layer.
- Expose the film to the positive
- THE NEXT STEPS ARE CARIED OUT ON THE ETCHING PRESS BED.
- After taking the film from exposure unit remove both layers of film from the ImagOn. This removal process is facilitated with masking tape. One side has the stiff Mylar and the other has the soft peel-back layer of film. Pay attention to which side is the top and which side is the bottom. The topside is the one with the stiff Mylar. If you laminate the wrinkled film upside down this technique will not work very well.
- Remove the Mylar from the ImagOn plate. (A re-worked carrier layer will already have the Mylar removed.)
- Spritz the plate with water
- Stretch and wrinkle the film and position the wrinkled ImagOn onto the surface of the wet plate.
- Lay the discarded peel-back and Mylar pieces onto the top of the plate. This prevents the Imagon from sticking to the etching felts.
- Now run this plate through the etching press and then remove the Mylar and peel-back pieces.
- Now still develop the plate in the soda ash solution for 9 minutes.
- Now hand develop, with sponge, for a minute or so.
- Rinse with water
- Set with the vinegar spray and rinse with water
- Dry and heat set in a drying cabinet.
- The plate is now ready for printing