A technical dictionary of printmaking, André Béguin.
 The term is also used in words such as
department where it designates departments
collecting engraved plates. The chalcographic department of the
Louvre was created by Colbert in 1660. It employed several engravers
who were later to serve king Louis XIV. The word chalcography,
however, was not used in France until 1797. The plates kept at the
Cabinet du Roi and at
the Académie Royale du Peinture were regrouped and sent to the
Cabinet des Estampes
of the Bibliothèque
Nationale (National Library) where they
remained up until the Napoleonic era. The chalcographic department
was then added to the Louvre and is now at 10 rue de l'Abbaye in
Paris. At this adress one can obtain all information concerning the
sale of prints of which they have the plates. The printing of such
plates is not limited. One can also buy these prints in the museum
shop on the groundfloor of the Louvre.
Back to Main Page of the "Printmaking dictionary"