User's instructions, Polymetaal etching presses JPVEV series (JPVEV-70, JPVEV-80, JPVEV-90), and JWEV-series (JWEV-80, JWEV-100, JWEV-120) electric etching presses with continuously variable printing speed.
The press is fixed to a wooden pallet and is packed and rapped in cardboard and plastic foil. Take this packing material from the press and take the screws out that fix the machine on the pallet. The machine should now be lifted to be able to take the pallet out. The two shafts between the side frames and positioned above the top roller, are strong enough to carry the weight during this process. Keep safety features in mind.
You should clean the rollers first. For safety reasons these rollers are packed with grease paper and plastic tape. Make a very small cut in the plastic tape which allows you to peal off this material. The rollers must be cleaned from grease with a solvent . The rollers must be clean and dry before use. It is advisable however to check the four guides, fixed on top of the side frames, that keep the bed plate in place.
Also the steel bars between the side frames that carry the plastic rollers might be adjusted. For this purpose this drawing is shown;
The four bed guides can be shifted sideways, which changes the open space between the guide and the bed. This space should be approximately 1 or 2 mm. (Play "A"). It is important that all the bed guides are in line and have about the same play. These guides can be secured with the hexagon bolts.
The position of the round bars with plastic rollers can be changed vertically. With an "Allen key" the screw with inside hexagonal can be untightened which allows the change of position. The plastic rollers should alway have a certain play between the bed (Play "B"). Because of the presence of this space it is always certain the the bed is in full contact with the lower roller, which minimizes slippage.
It is possible that the power cord (electric cable) is not fitted with the right electric plug. Almost every country uses a different system, so it is wiser to leave this up to the local qualified electricians. The mushroom shaped safety stop can either be fixed to the floor or somewhere else. It should be fixed in such a way that it is easy to operate in case of an emergency.
Assembly and disassembly of these machines.
We recommand not to do the assembly/disassembly yourself. The electric and mechanical system makes is even more complicated than the manual versions of these presses. However if you are enough qualified for this sort of work, it is possible. You can start reading the instructions that are valid for the manual JPV press or instructions that are valid for the manual JW press and just add the electro-mechanical components. If you are in doubt about an electrical connection you can find help in the electric wiring scheme's here below.
Instructions to operate the machine
This machine should be connected to a 220-250 V AC outlet with PE (earth) connection to avoid electrical shock. Any alterations in the electrical circuit or the program of the inverter should be performed by qualified electricians.
Starting the machine:
- Connect the plug to a 220-240 VAC outlet.
- Put the "main switch" into the "on" position (vertical)\
- The red pushbutton must be lit. If not: check the separate emergency stop (mushroom type). When pushed in, it may reain in the "stop" position, reset it by pulling the red "mushroom" upwards.
- The red pushbutton must be lit. If not: chrck the invertyer (Commander SK) , the display should show "rd"= ready. Should the display show "tr" = trip, the inverter has tripped. You can reset the inverter by turning the main switch to the "OFF" position, wait 3 minutes, turn to "ON" position. The display should show "rd" now. When the inverter trips frequently, contact your technician. Most common cause is excessive mechanical load.
- The red pushbutton is blinking. This happens when the photo-electric detectors are not correctly aligned or something is in between the detector and the reflector. The led on each photo-electric detector should be lit.
- The red pushbutton is lit constantly. This means the drive is ready. You can start the drive by pushing the button rightwards (arrow rightwards) or the button leftwards (arrow leftwards). By turning the speed-control knob, the machine will increase its speed.
Stopping the machine:
The machine will stop when:
- You press the red pushbutton OFF
- The limit switch detects the end of the bed
- You push the emergency pushbutton
- The inverter trips
- The photo-electric detectors indicate an object between themselves and their reflectors, in this case the rollers will invert their direction of roation for approximately one second,
- You switch the main switch to the "OFF" position
- The fuse inside the main cabinet is defective, fuse 3,15 Amps ceramic 6x30 mm. Fuseholder to the right side of terminals.
Electrical circuit drawing
- Electrical circuit drawing enlarged
- List of electrical components
- Parametersettings electric drive system
- Easy-soft documentation page 1
- Easy-soft documentation page 2
- Easy-soft documentation page 3
- Easy-soft documentation page 4
- Easy-soft documentation page 5
- Easy-soft documentation page 6
Standards and Regulations;
The manufacturer of these products declares that the equipment complies to the European standard IEC 335-1 "Safety of household and similar electrical appliances"- and that this equipment was produced according to CE-Standards (Machineguidelines and Magnetic Compability)-and that the CE-label has been attached to this equipment.
Use of the press
This press is very well suitable for printing intaglio (copper and zinc plates) as well as woodcuts and linocuts.
The following drawing shows the situation while printing from an etched or engraved metal plate. (intaglio)
The purpose of the felt is to press the paper into the small engraved lines of the plate, in order to accept ink.
Some people use cardboard shims under the pressure spindle (between the small moveable part and the bearing block of the top roller) to generate more "flexibility" in the press. For etching is has not much effect, but for printing woodcuts or linocuts it can be of help. It helps to compensate the irregularities of the wood's surface.
Printing woodcuts and linocuts with this press
The drawing shows a layer of felt. This felt has also the feature to compensate for irregularities of the woodcut or linocut. (differences in thickness). If the woud or lino should be perfectly plane, no felt was needed. Underneath the felt is a plastic layer (PVC) of appr. 5mm thick. This is only functional in combination with the felt. If the PVC layer should not be used, the felt would press the paper into the hollows of the woodcut or linocut. If you want embossing, very well. If not, prevent this from happening by using the plastic layer.
- The bearings of this do press not need lubrication. (all ball bearings)
- It is recommanded to use and store this press in a dry room, to prevent rusting. (For example, etching with aggressive agents should be done in a different room, for the same reason)
- The lectric system, as well as the gearing systems, do not need maintenance. These systems are designed to work in industrial environments.
- The light detecting system is sensible to dust. Clean the glasses of the detectors on a regular basis, as well as the reflectors.